Saturday, September 03, 2011

Newt Gingrich’s Illinois Fundraiser « Publius Forum

Via Publius Forum, Newt Gingrich’s Illinois Fundraiser « Publius Forum:
...I have to say that politicians always amaze me with their ability to remember faces and names. As Callista made her way toward me, she gave me a look of recognition, came on over, grasped my hand and reminded me of just where we last saw each other. She even remembered my first name. Only a few minutes later, Newt came up to me and also remembered that he’d met me before. This always amazes me. I mean, I’ve only met Newt and Callista about four times or so and always in a sea of people, not one-on-one. Yet they both at least recalled they’d met me before. I have to say, I don’t think I could achieve such a feat of memory after meeting thousands of people every year like these politicians do.
I sat next to Sen Durbin years ago on a flight to Washington DC. I offered a few opinions (I was a Democrat then). He thanked me and asked my zipcode. I had the feeling he had the whole state, demographics and past election results all, imprinted in his head.

No comments: