Thursday, December 17, 2009

Chicago Bar Project: Cohasset Punch Redux?


Good news from the Drinkers with Writing Problems,
Fortunately, since our memoriam of Ladner Brothres posted, we received this message from John Ladner, the great-grandson of one of the founders (Carl) and John Sr.’s grandson, “Your page has brought a lot of mail my way, mostly asking if it is still available somewhere. Fans of bygone liquor are legion. I now have the coveted family recipe (not much like Martha’s) that produces 24 gallons of the stuff in a single batch. If you know of any boutique liquor bottlers, I could get them some customers…”
A place I knew well. The place West Madison street will never be replaced but we may wet our pallets with the punch again soon.

5 comments:

Mary said...

We happen to have an unopened original bottle of Cohasett Punch .It is still in the white box my Dad bought it in. He would like to see if there is anyone interested in buying this. Any suggestions?
Thanks Mary

Bill Baar said...

Ebay, Chicago Craigslist? I wonder if there is some legal tangle trying to sell booze though.

Best have a party?

Mary said...

Thanks for the reply, Bill. Yes, there seems to be some catches with selling liquor on line. We have thought about the party though. Dad swears by this stuff and has such good memories of the taste. Maybe Chicago Craig's List would work. We are in Arizona but I suppose could enlist the help of some Chicago family.
We appreciate you suggestions.
Mary

Anonymous said...

When I was a young woman going to U of C, I worked the 4 to 12 shift at the La Salle Hotel. My boss Ivy and I at least twice a week would go for a punch on our dinner hour.The bartender was a hoot full of old stories about the bar.I am 81 now and it is still one of my favorite memories.

Bill Baar said...

Thanks for sharing the great story Anon... La Salle hotel had some murals of Joliet the explorer in Illinois, right?