Sunday, November 15, 2009

Obama's bow to the Emperor


My Dad in Manila in 1945. He was a pretty mild guy and his whole family Midwestern isolationists, pretty much opposed to American involvement in WW2.

But once in he and my uncle and all the rest did their duty. My Dad met the Japanese in New Guina and then the Philippines. He would have been aghast at Obama's bow.

I expect many Chinese who remember and have been taught about The Rape of Nanking (caution graphic images) are aghast today, unlike my President or many Japanese who have memory-holed that atrocity.

There are things worse than war. The Chinese remember Japenese occupation and have taught their childred. Today's Japan has buried their history. Obama's bow will reverberate and anger. Just as it would have angered my Dad.
















Footnote: Powerline with the fumbling response to the question on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. You'd almost think he didn't expect it.

No comments: