Friday, November 23, 2007

Congressman Davis and the Cops

Davis and the Cops, from the Trib
"The more I thought about it, the more perplexing it came," said Davis. "I knew I had not committed any infraction.

"No tail lights were out or anything like that. Licenses were in place and intact. There was no apparent reason to be stopped, except that we were profiled," said Davis.

He said he plans on challenging the ticket.

"It's not the money. It's the principle of the whole thing."
I've been stopped in the same neighborhood. As a white male, the cop's assumption is I was looking for a drug buy.

As I became an older white male, the assumption was I'm looking for a prostitute.

That I'm cruising historic Douglas Blvd for a glimpse of Chicago History is not believable to most cops.

Now that the area is ripe for gentrification, my profile might be changing.

1 comment:

Levois said...

LOL!!! The police engages in racial profiling on everybody apparently. It does make sense somewhat. Unfortunately the issue for a black person is fairness. Is a white cop stopping a black motorist because they're black? It's still pretty easy to make that assertion.