Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Obama, Alice Palmer, Bernadine Dohrn, Bill Ayers and Tony Rezko

Trib does a good history of Obama's first race to fill Alice Palmer seat.

She endoresd Obama, but then tried to get her slot back after changing her mind about not running. That caused a commotion but I can't fault Obama for backing off because Palmer changed her mind.

What does bother me though, is Obama says this,

Obama said he has not been in touch with Palmer since 1996. "No, not really, no," he said.
Yet he's had time to dine with Tony Rezko once or twice a year for the past decade.
Q: Senator, when did you first meet Tony Rezko? How did you become friends? How often would you meet with him, and when did you last speak with him?

A: I had attracted some media attention when I was elected the first black President of the Harvard Law Review. And while I was in law school, David Brint, who was a development partner with Tony Rezko contacted me and asked whether I would be interested in being a developer. Ultimately, after discussions in which I met Mr. Rezko, I said no.

I have probably had lunch with Rezko once or twice a year and our spouses may have gotten together on two to four occasions in the time that I have known him. I last spoke with Tony Rezko more than six months ago.
Footnote: Here's a blog with a history a little different from the Trib's including a reference to a party that must have been a hoot.
The fact is the Hyde Parkers whom Obama was courting at the time would've remained loyal to Palmer and many told him as much at the home of Bernadine Dohrn and Bill Ayers in late November of 1995.
I might pick Tony Rezko as a dinner companion given a choice between him and Dohrn / Ayers.

No comments: