Thursday, April 26, 2007

Democrats debate: their Dukakis moment

I can't find a transcirpt yet. Obama really rambled in his response. Here is how Hotline captured it.
Obama is asked about his response to a hypothesized catastrophe. Two nukes. We're sure it's Al Q.

Obama: He'd make sure the recovery and response was solid. "What we can't do is then alienate the world community based on false intelligence based on bombast.:" He says he'd talk to the international community.

Edwards: "The first thing I would do is be certain I would know who is responsible, and I would act swiftly and strongly and hold them responsible for that."

Clinton: "Having been a senator during 9/11, I understand the horror ... of that attack. I think a president must move as swiftly as is prudent to retaliate. If we are attacked and we can determine who is behind that attack and if there were nations that supported or gave mateiral aid to those attack. I believe that we should quickly respond. But that doesn;t mean we go quickly looking for other fights."
Obama's response reminded me of Dukakis's response to Bernard Shaw back in 1988,
Governor, if Kitty Dukakis were raped and murdered, would you favor an irrevocable death penalty for the killer?

DUKAKIS: No, I don't, Bernard. And I think you know that I've opposed the death penalty during all of my life. I don't see any evidence that it's a deterrent, and I think there are better and more effective ways to deal with violent crime.
And Dukakis went on and on, just like Obama responding with talks with the International Community. Richardson to his credit responded later with an unequivocal Military retaliation.

No comments: