Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Universities are the most dogmatic and oppressive places in our society.

Timothy Ball writes Global Warming: The Cold, Hard Facts? at Canada Free Press.
Since I obtained my doctorate in climatology from the University of London, Queen Mary College, England my career has spanned two climate cycles. Temperatures declined from 1940 to 1980 and in the early 1970's global cooling became the consensus. This proves that consensus is not a scientific fact. By the 1990's temperatures appeared to have reversed and Global Warming became the consensus. It appears I'll witness another cycle before retiring, as the major mechanisms and the global temperature trends now indicate a cooling.

No doubt passive acceptance yields less stress, fewer personal attacks and makes career progress easier. What I have experienced in my personal life during the last years makes me understand why most people choose not to speak out; job security and fear of reprisals. Even in University, where free speech and challenge to prevailing wisdoms are supposedly encouraged, academics remain silent.

I once received a three page letter that my lawyer defined as libellous, from an academic colleague, saying I had no right to say what I was saying, especially in public lectures. Sadly, my experience is that universities are the most dogmatic and oppressive places in our society. This becomes progressively worse as they receive more and more funding from governments that demand a particular viewpoint.
And I pay to put two through them this year.

1 comment:

Robin Edgar said...

Interestingly enough I came across this article earlier today, quite independently of seeing your post about it just now. I would certainly recommend reading it to others and will probably do so shortly. I had other priorities earlier and was out for much of the day. I find myself in agreement with much of what is said in this article even though I am presently in the camp of those who believe that "global warming", or at least significant climatic change, is very real and that human beings are par of the problem and not doing a whole lot to be part of the solution. . . My own feeling is that the climatic changes will continue and that most human beings will be unwilling to voluntarily make the very significant "lifestyle" changes that might reduce "global warming". I am very confident that human beings will adapt to the changing climatic conditions but other species clearly will not be able to adapt so easily and may face extinction.