House Resolution #64 in support of Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury will be considered in the House Foreign Affairs Committee this week. The good news: The resolution has sixteen co-signers and is assured of passage on the House floor with a large majority.
The bad news: In order to move the resolution out of committee, there must be ten co-signers who are actually members of the Foreign Affairs Committee. At this time, we have only three, and we have only two business days to accomplish this. (We were only given two days notice that the resolution would be on the agenda for this week.) All the co-signers must be onboard by Tuesday afternoon.
The ACJ and the Simon Wiesenthal Center will focus on contacting the committee members in California.
I am listing the committee members whose co-sponsorship is needed below. To make this easier for you, they are listed by states.
1. PLEASE CALL A MEMBER IN YOUR STATE OR ONE OF THOSE WITH ASTERISKS BESIDE THEIR NAMES. THE PHONE NUMBER FOR THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES IS: 202- 224- 3121.
2. DISCUSSION POINTS: SALAH UDDIN SHOIAB CHOUDHURY, MODERATE MUSLIM JOURNALIST, ON TRIAL NOW FOR SEDITION AND TREASON FOR PUBLISHING A NEWSPAPER WHICH SUPPORTS ISRAEL -ONLY ONE IN ISLAMIC WORLD, FOR PROMOTING INTERFAITH UNDERSTANDING AND FOR WRITING ABOUT THE DANGER OF RADICAL ISLAM. SUBJECT TO DEATH PENALTY. NO JURY. NO DEFENSE WITNESSES PERMITTED. RESOLUTION ASKS TO DROP CHARGES. EUROPEAN UNION HAS ALREADY PASSED A SIMILAR RESOLUTION. THIS IS A BIPARTISAN RESOLUTION.
3. WHEN YOU REACH A STAFF PERSON IN A CONGRESSIONAL OFFICE, ASK THEM TO CALL YOU BACK THE SAME DAY TO SAY WHETHER THE REPRESENTATIVE WILL CO-SPONSOR.
3. TELL THAT INDIVIDUAL TO BE IN TOUCH WITH JEFF PHILLIPS IN THE OFFICE OF REP. MARK KIRK, 202-225-4835, WHO IS THE POINT PERSON FOR THIS RESOLUTION.
4. LET ME KNOW WHO YOU HAVE CALLED AND THE RESPONSE.
5. PLEASE FORWARD THIS POST TO ANYONE WHO MIGHT BE HELPFUL
Thank you so much. Wishing you abundant blessings. The list follows:
MEMBERS OF THE HOUSE FOREIGN AFFAIRS COMMITTEE WHO ARE NOT YET CO-SPONSORS OF HOUSE RESOLUTION #64.
*Arkansas: John Borman
Arizona: Jeff Flake, Gabrielle Giffords
California: Howard Berman, Brad Sherman, Dana Rohrbacher, Elton Gallegher, Edward Royce, Diane Watson, Lynn Woolsey, Linda Sanchez, Jim Costa
Colorado: Thomas Tancredo
Florida: Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, Connie Mack, Robert Wexler, Ron Klein
*Georgia: David Scott
Illinois: Donald Manzullo
Indiana: Dan Burton, Mike Pence
Massachusetts: Bill Delahunt
*Missouri: Russ Carnahan
*Nebraska: Jeff Fortenberry
New Jersey: Christopher Smith, Donald Payne, Albio Sires
*Gary Ackerman, Chairman, Subcommittee on Middle East and South Asia
Elliot Engle, *Gregory Meeks
*North Carolina: Brad Miller
*Ohio: Steven Chabot
Oregon: David Wu
*South Carolina: Joe Wilson, J. Gresham Barrett, Bob Inglis
*Tennessee: John Tanner
*Texas: Ruben Hinojosa, Ted Poe, Ron Paul, Michael Mc Call
Virginia: Jo Ann Davis
Washington: Adam Smith
Sunday, February 11, 2007
Manzullo, House Res 64, and the case of Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury
I'll be emailing Manullo's office. An email from Sue Levy,