Monday, February 13, 2006

Blogger profile: Levois of It's My Mind

Norman Geras of NormBlog does a profile once a week of blogger he reads. I like the idea so copied his questions and sent them around to some bloggers I read. Tells you a little more about people you spend time with every day, who otherwise you know surprizingly little about.

Levois of It's My Mind kindly agreed to respond. So allow me to introduce him to you here with his replies. I did have to change Norm's English Football team to one about American Baseball and you'll see Levois a Cubs fan.

Read him and leave some comments. He covers local Chicago events including Healthcare on Chicago's West Side.

Why do you blog? > I started with the idea to inform and to affect some form of change. Mainly to put my thoughts on issues that I care about out there. As well as my own point of view.

What has been your worst blogging experience? > I can't say I have had one yet. I'll just say that the worst that has ever happened was silly grammar mistakes and posted things that I would regret later.

What would be your main blogging advice to a novice blogger? > Have something to say even if your blog is mostly about your daily life.

Who are your intellectual heroes? > I don't have many. I'll have to think about that one.

What are you reading at the moment? > I'm not a voracious reader and I wish I was. I would go through several books and never finish reading them. Mainly though I'm reading Booker T. Washington's Up From Slavery. The last book I've actually completed was the Mayor Richard J. Daley biography American Pharoah.

Who are your cultural heroes? > I'll have to think about this one too. Honestly I'm big on the civil rights activists and the black power activists from the 1960s

What is your favourite song? > Don't know any off the top of my head

Who is your favourite composer? > George Gershwin, Eminem, Erykah Badu, the list would have to be endless.

Can you name a major moral, political or intellectual issue on which you've ever changed your mind? > Perhaps the issue of government assistance. And economic issues the idea that government can't nor shouldn't provide jobs.

What philosophical thesis do you think it most important to disseminate? > I'd have to think about that some more.

What philosophical thesis do you think it most important to combat? > I'd have to think about this some more too.

Who are your political heroes? > FDR, Harry Truman, George W. Bush, Abraham Lincoln, John F. Kennedy, Harold Washington, Adam Clayton Powell, Mayor Richard J. Daley, there are a few others I'm sure

What is your favourite piece of political wisdom? > Good government is good politics. Apparently attributed to the last of the big city bosses Mayor Richard J. Daley. Then there's also all politics are local.

If you could effect one major policy change in the governing of your country, what would it be? > Perhaps the issue of the role of government in people lives.

What would you do with the UN? > Reform it make it an organization more dedicated for spreading democracy and freedom around the world and to combat those who don't support democracy and freedom.

What do you consider to be the main threat to the future peace and security of the world? > Terrorists and those who support them.

Do you think the world (human civilization) has already passed its best point, or is that yet to come? > I'd like to think the best is yet to come.

What would be your most important piece of advice about life? > Keep moving forward

Do you think you could ever be married to, or in a long-term relationship with, someone with radically different political views from your own? > Unlikely though I would entertain the thought of a relationship with someone who was liberal but only if they weren't totally closeminded. Hopefully I won't be as closed minded but firm in my views.

What commonly enjoyed activities do you regard as a waste of time? > Surfing the internet when I should be studying.

What, if anything, do you worry about? > I try not to worry about much.

Where would you most like to live (other than where you do)? > I wouldn't mind living in the south either Tennessee or where my parents came from Mississippi

What would your ideal holiday be? > It would always be Christmas or Thanksgiving. I like New Years but as exciting as it is, it's also depressing.

What is your most treasured possession? > I'll have to think about that one or I'm not there yet.

Who are your sporting heroes? > Their mostly teams. I like the Red Sox and the White Sox. How they went to the world series is almost how I view life they were the underdogs. Sometimes I may admire Isiah Thomas and his Detroit Pistons when they won their two NBA Titles. They were an aggressive team.

Which American Baseball team do you support? > I'm a Chicagoan so I root mostly for the Cubs with a secondary interest in the White Sox. Then I may also root for the New York Yankees.

How, if at all, would you change your life were you suddenly to win or inherit an enormously large sum of money? > This is money I can use for the other things I want in my life. Then what ever else I have left over could go to investments and then savings.