Monday, January 02, 2006

Traitor to the movement

NormsBlog on Upton Sinclair's coverup on Sacco and Vanzetti from a newly found letter by Sinclair,
...indicating that he knew about the guilt of Sacco and Vanzetti.
I faced the most difficult ethical problem of my life at that point," he wrote to his attorney. "I had come to Boston with the announcement that I was going to write the truth about the case."

Other letters tucked away in the Indiana archive illuminate why one of America's most strident truth tellers kept his reservations to himself.

"My wife is absolutely certain that if I tell what I believe, I will be called a traitor to the movement and may not live to finish the book [Boston]," Sinclair wrote Robert Minor, a confidant at the [Communist] Daily Worker in New York, in 1927.
Wonder what was difficult about withholding evidence of murder but I guess it was the treason to the movement that was Sinclair's obstacle.

Horrible things movements.

No comments: