Sunday, January 08, 2006

The Belmont Club: Ariel Sharon

141 comments on this post over atThe Belmont Club about Ariel Sharon:
"It's funny how the man so reviled as a warmonger in health has, on his sickbed, become the symbol of peace in the Middle East. Kofi Annan says he pleaded with Sharon to cut back on his workload after his first stroke. Newsday reports that:

Even former critics on the Jewish left expressed regret Thursday about the events that followed so quickly upon Sharon's change of direction. 'I just returned to New York from Israel less than 24 hours ago and I'm having great difficulty collecting my thoughts,' said Jamie Levin, director of Ameinu, a progressive Zionist group. 'Had you told me a year ago that I would be a cheerleader of Ariel Sharon, I wouldn't have believed it. To me, it is inconceivable that this staunchly militant warrier has become a peacemaker, albeit a unilateral one. But he did. And now, with him lying comatose in a bed, I'm seriously worried for the prospects for the future of peace.'

Are we talking about the same man who Belgium wanted to try for war crimes? The same Ariel Sharon who Amnesty International wanted investigated for crimes against humanity? Their absolution should be as worthless as their condemnation. And if so, what yardstick of opprobrium or praise can a man bear with him to eternity if he wants more than the judgment of the UN Secretary General?"

No comments: