Thursday, December 15, 2005

Bush, his Faith, and the Real Threat of Iran

Some paragraphs from Brit Hume's interview with Bush where Bush responds to the notion he's called by God. I'd like to think God's will shines through me but I know I'm a poor prisim. Bush doesn't sound theocratic or even Christian when he talks like this.

Thanks to Elephants in Academia for the link.
Bush said that he still prays several times a day and particularly appreciates the prayers of fellow citizens. He said his faith plays a big role in his life and guides him through it. Despite that devotion, Bush said that he is not confused about how he got into office.

"There's a difference between a personal relationship with an almighty and kind of this notion in some quarters of the world that some have God as directing policy out of the White House," Bush said.

"I think I was chosen by the American people and I knocked on their doors an awful lot in 2000 and 2004 ... I do pray that I, to the best extent possible, that God's will shines through me as an individual, but I don't subscribe to that God picked me over somebody else," he said.

Such a notion appears contrary to the mullahs of Iran, who claim to be pursuing Allah's will on Earth. With such a "mandate", those leaders, particularly new Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad are calling for the destruction of Israel and are vigorously pursuing nuclear weapons in violation of U.N. warnings to cease and desist.

Despite the increasing bellicosity, Bush said the United States will continue to work diplomatically with Iran, whom the president named in his 2002 State of the Union addrress as one of three members of the Axis of Evil.

Calling it a "real threat," Bush said he hopes the current rulers of Iran would instead "be wise enough to begin to listen to the people and allow the people to particiapte in their government."

No comments: