Monday, August 08, 2005

Architecture and Morality: It ain't all that bad...

A blog with only two posts finds good news.

Architecture and Morality: It ain't all that bad...:
"This article by New York Times columnist David Brooks is a pleasant reality check of the culture we live in. There's no denying that the author has reputation of seeing the sunny side of things in contemporary society, but that in itself is no flaw in evaluating reality."
After listing a series of improving statistics on all sorts of bad stuff, Brooks concludes,
The first thing that has happened is that people have stopped believing in stupid ideas: that the traditional family is obsolete, that drugs are liberating, that it is every adolescent's social duty to be a rebel.

The second thing that has happened is that many Americans have become better parents. Time diary studies reveal that parents now spend more time actively engaged with kids, even though both parents are more likely to work outside the home.

Third, many people in the younger generation, under age 30 or so, are reacting against the culture of divorce. They are trying to lead lives that are more stable than the ones their parents led. Post-boomers behave better than the baby boomers did.

Fourth, over the past few decades, neighborhood and charitable groups have emerged to help people lead more organized lives, even in the absence of cohesive families.

2 comments:

Diane said...

It would be nice to believe this may be true.

corbusier said...

Thanks for linking me to my site. I found myself all of a sudden starting my own blog when trying to post something at the Belmont Club!

I see you are one of those suburban Chicagoans. I actually lived briefly in Chicago twice, doing some architecture work for the firm Skidmore, Owings and Merrill (SOM). I enjoyed myself tremendously up there. I lived in three different neighborhoods: Edgewater, Logan Square, and UIC-Little Italy. Somehow I never really ventured out to the suburbs, except for some worthwhile sightseeing in Oak Park. If cost of living weren’t an issue, I wouldn’t mind living in the Windy City. Yet somehow the whole political patronage system under Daley kind of creeps me out. I still enjoy listening to Roe Kohn’s show on WLSAM though.