Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Obama at least understood I was writing about Gitmo and Durbin; not Iraq

Obama at least wrote a real letter. I know what Durbin meant though. Durbin thinks he can bring back 1968 and he should have sense enough to remember where that took the party. Rich Daley seemed too remember.

Dear Bill:

Thank you for contacting me about comments made by Senator Durbin in reference to the treatment of detainees at Guantanamo. I appreciate having the benefit of your perspective on this issue and fully understand your concern.

I know this recent episode has pained Senator Durbin a great deal. And I recognize that each and every one of us is going to make a mistake once in a while or say something that doesn't appropriately describe what we meant. What we hope is that our track record of service will override whatever particular mistake we make.

I believe Senator Durbin has established himself as someone who cares deeply about our veterans and our troops, and I am grateful he had the courage to stand up on the Senate floor and acknowledge that he should have said what he meant differently. I accept the sincerity of his apology, and I note that other senators, including Sen. John McCain who was critical of Sen. Durbin's initial remarks but who applauded him for making "a heartfelt statement, one of apology," and said before the full Senate that Senator Durbin "did the right thing, the courageous thing and I believe we can put this issue behind us." I agree with Senator McCain's advice.

Thank you again for contacting me.


Sincerely,

Barack Obama
United States Senator

2 comments:

39olds said...

I think its great that Obama and Durbin the took time to answer you back, and so promptly.

Especially with your blogs Republican bias.

Bill Baar said...

I thought Obama's responses was pretty responsive to the compliant about Durbin's words.

Durbin's response was 1) awfully long and wordy, and 2) didn't say anything about his loony comments.

Beer tomorrow?