Thursday, July 28, 2005

Can't sleep; Rumsfeld, Oraiana Fallaci, and New Fusionism

A letter from London on Yahoo's Rumsfeld group that leaves me unsettled in the middle of the night,

Hello from London,

I went for a walk lastnight and on Edgware Road the radicals are still pitching up their tables with leaflets about the false religion, Christianity, and the fact that Israel and the USA are not regarded as terrorists but should be etc etc.There were several characters giving lectures about the only true religion being Islam; I am sure they were harmless but with the tension in this city, it is amazing that these people have the 'chutzpah' to preach like this.

I remember a member here a long time ago chastising me when I said I had seen stickers all over Edgware Road and in this area calling for the downfall of Israel, the USA and Blair. Nothing has upset me more in the past few years than people saying I 'imagine' or 'exaggerate' the anger and aggression of the young men from Hizba'ut Tahrir handing out their inciteful literature in Church Street market and in Edgware Road in recent years.

As Oriana Fallaci has said in 'Corriere delle Sera' this week, she was warning for four years of an outbreak of Jihad in Europe and 'nobody would listen.'

Please pray for us in the UK.
C

I can't find a English translation of Oraiana Fallaci's article in 'Corriere delle Sera'. Fallaci wrote The Rage and the Pride reviewed here in the Weekly Standard and here in NRO.

Fallaci is on trial now in Italy for "vilification" of "any religion admitted by the state" based on statements in a her subsequent Book: The Force of Reason.

She recently gave a great interview in WSJ including this great quote on Ratzinger which perfectly shows Joseph Buttom' s "New Fusionism",
"I feel less alone when I read the books of Ratzinger." I had asked Ms. Fallaci whether there was any contemporary leader she admired, and Pope Benedict XVI was evidently a man in whom she reposed some trust. "I am an atheist, and if an atheist and a pope think the same things, there must be something true. It's that simple! There must be some human truth here that is beyond religion."

Ms. Fallaci, who made her name by interviewing numerous statesmen (and not a few tyrants), believes that ours is "an age without leaders. We stopped having leaders at the end of the 20th century." Of George Bush, she will concede only that he has "vigor," and that he is "obstinate" (in her book a compliment) and "gutsy. . . . Nobody obliged him to do anything about Terri Schiavo, or to take a stand on stem cells. But he did."

No comments: