Friday, May 27, 2005

Bolton, Voinovich, and the filibuster

Thoughts on last night:

I hate it when politicians cry. Maybe it's because I'm from Illinois and therefore cynical. My thought on Voinovich choking up was he must have some emotional problem. (Hear him on radio blogger: via Galley Slaves unbelievable mp3 )

I hate it when politicians tell me I'm stupid. That's how I felt when I heard Reid say this last night, (via the Trib)

"We are not here to filibuster Bolton--we are here to get information," Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) said on the floor shortly after the vote was taken. Sen. Joseph Biden (D-Del.), who led the opposition to Bolton, said, "I have absolutely no intention of preventing an up-or-down vote on Mr. Bolton." He later said he did not know whether full disclosure of the information he is seeking would sink the nomination.

It's a filibuster. I'm not stupid Mr. Reid.

I'm guessing Lott got it right. (quote from Lott below is further down in the Trib link). Democrats may turn out to be the dummies. They will have squandered a chance to filibuster a supreme court nominee for Bolton.

Sen. Trent Lott (R-Miss.) said the setback to Bolton "is temporary, and I believe it might actually lead to his much easier confirmation when we come back." He said Democrats will be "a little bit embarrassed about this and now they have pushed it over the edge."

No comments: