Saturday, February 19, 2005

Bean Counting

I'm an accountant. I only passed one part of the CPA exam, but I still manage to make a living counting things and that's why I found this exchange between SecDef Rumsfeld and Rep Sanchez at the Feb 16, 2005 House Armed Service Hearings on the FY06 DoD Budget so delightful.

It's hard to explain what you sum today, will not be the same as yesterday's or tomorrow's totals. Hard for me at least, SecDef did nice job here.

Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld: "We're scheduled to have 200,000 in September or October of this year. When the elections take place with respect to the constitution, and the program takes it to 270,000 by June of'06."


Representative Loretta Sanchez: "The numbers that you bandy around about how many troops we really have out there that are Iraqi police, et cetera,
et cetera."


Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld: "You say we bandy around numbers. They're not my numbers. I don't invent them. They come from General Petreus. There's no bandying at all."


Representative Loretta Sanchez: "I have Petreus' numbers. They're different than your numbers, by the way."

Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld: Well, what is the date? They're not different if the date's the same. The date on my paper here is February 14th. What's yours?"

Representative Loretta Sanchez: "December 20th."Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld: "Not surprising there's a
difference."

No comments: